Single & Fabulous

Sep 20, 2014

My Decision To Be A Single Mother

A few weeks ago I got the most exciting news from one of my besties – she’s expecting her first child! She’s in her 40’s and always thought about being a mother, possibly foster-adoption, but now that she is pregnant her motherhood dreams have come true. And now my motherhood dreams are once again screaming loudly. 

While I was in Pittsburgh with my Mother earlier this month, we talked a lot about my desire to be a mother and single motherhood. She’s extremely excited about becoming a grandmother as I am her only child so that’s the only way she can become a grandmother. But like everyone else I’ve disclosed my pregnancy and single motherhood plan to, she voiced the concern about me doing this on my own. 

I’ve gotten questions from how I am going to actually get pregnant to how I plan to care for a child on my own. First things first, artificial insemination is just as common as getting knocked up the old fashioned way. I’ve found a donor and will be doing home artificial insemination, and if that doesn’t work I’ll be heading to a fertility center to have IUI’s done. Based on what I’ve been told by my Midwife, my levels are good and I shouldn’t have any issues conceiving as I am health and still have plenty of eggs. 

Why Single Motherhood? I’ve been on plenty of dates and what is lacking is quality. The women I’ve gone out with are just not someone I’d want in my life long term let alone even consider having a family with. I don’t get even get into details about my future plans, outside of expanding my nursing career and while the prospect of a long term relationship seems nice, motherhood is more appealing to me than having someone in my life.

I’m excited about all that motherhood will bring me and my mother. I’m looking forward to holiday traditions, vacations to other countries, watching my Mother be overjoyed with grandmotherhood, and more importantly I will have achieved my ultimate goal in life. Having a child on my own will eliminate that elephant in the room during the dating phase. I can date without wondering about the future, a freedom many cannot say they have.

I have achieved a new peace of mind and I’m ready for all the future is going to bring. Countdown to 2015 is in full effect!

No comments:

Post a Comment