Single & Fabulous

Jan 2, 2015

My Mother, Myself: The Fallout



Happy 2015! I rang in the new year with one of my cousins at home and it was a good evening because she finally got me to watch that show all my friends have been raving about – Orange Is The New Black. I’m only on Season 1, Episode 5 but thus far I’m liking it. It’s no L Word…and truth be told, could never be…but it’s filling a Lesbian series void that the L Word series has left us with.

Yesterday I sent my Mother a text message proposing that next NYE we spend it together in Las Vegas. I thought it would be great because we have no spent a single holiday together for as long as I can remember. So for once, instead of her being with my stepdads family she could spend time with her own child. Her response: “I would but it will cause all kinds of problems between your stepfather and me.” I lost it! And thus our texting war ensued.

My stepdad is a selfish, controlling, mental, asshole. He’s a great pretender in front of his colleagues and anyone else he may need to impress but he hates my mother’s family and yeah that includes me too. Whenever my Mother and I are in Pittsburgh visiting family, he catches an attitude from the time she books her flight until the day she returns. He calls her none stop to the point where my Mother has had to lie to me about needing to take business calls because it was actually him calling and she knew I’d stand up to him. Yet when she’s away with him and his family, God forbid I or some other family need her and he gives her hell over taking a call or responding to a text message.

I can’t take another year of this madness. I told my Mother I was done being respectful, done getting the blunt end of all of this. Like, what am I supposed to tell her grandchild? Oh I’m sorry your grandmother is married to some sick, controlling, bastard who would rather keep her under his thumb than allow her to get on a plan and come see you. I can’t live my life like that anymore. So for once, right or wrong, I’ve taken a stand…

2 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate, but your mother is in an abusive relationship. He may not physically abuse her, but his actions are of an abuser. The emotional and psychological control projected by his constant calling and anger towards her when she spends time with anyone else but him. Your mom needs to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has been telling her this for years! They were separated once for like 6 years and that was the happiest I had ever seen my Mother. And of course she tries to justify his actions/behaviors. I just can't anymore...

      Delete