Single & Fabulous

Jan 7, 2015

The Miseducation of Straight Black Women



I really don’t know where to begin with this one because I think I’m still in shock that I could be so blind or think things would be I guess different, or because I just can’t believe that a certain subset of Black women could be so damn ignorant and hateful.

I’m very pro interracial relationships, specifically Black Women White Men unions. I’ve always thought that Black women should stop limiting themselves to finding an IBM (Ideal Black Man) that in reality was not available. For decades, the Anti-Miscegenation Laws kept many interracial couples apart or in hiding. So when I see or hear of them entering interracial unions with White Men I support and applaud them in their efforts. Robert and Grace De Niro are my favorite couple.

I follow a pro BW/WM page on Facebook, and I was member of a group for women who were either mixed with Black or had BW/WM relationships and/or children who were the product of that union. It was different for me because the only groups on Facebook I’ve been a part of were Lesbian or had to do with performing arts and food. The group was cool. I shared stories and experiences with plenty of the women about having a White Mother. And I was open about being a Lesbian and my desire to conceive via AI. Not an issue…or so I thought.

I guess when Florida passed the marriage act, one of the members decided to post a question asking if anyone thought the current fight for the right to marry was similar to the fight that interracial couples used to have for marriage. I don’t believe they are similar at all, considering that I could never been thrown in jail or banned from a State simply because I’m a Lesbian or engaged in PDA with my partner in public. There absolutely no laws on the books that warrant this punishment. The Anti-Miscegenation laws specifically warranted prison time and banishment from the State if you were even suspected of having an interracial relationship. Now that does not mean that either group has not had/still face its share of discrimination.

As others chimed in on the discussion it became clear that these women were showing their true colors. I don’t know how or why but it went from discussing interracial relationships, to bashing the Gay and Lesbian community for thinking that the current fight for the right to marry is the same as African-American’s fight for civil rights.

“When gay people are enslaved for 400 years then they can talk about civil rights…”

“I don’t agree with the whole gay thing…”

“Gay people live in fear? Of what? What do they have to fear?...”

All this and more coming from Black women who bore children who face discrimination and threats on a daily basis due to them being of mixed race. Women who are openly in interracial relationships and have stated that their own families and even friends have disowned them because of who they choose to love.

I am well aware that there are homophobic and hateful people in every ethnic group, in every part of the world. But what I don’t get is you’re in a union that is not very supported in this country, yet you’re so quick to throw stones of hate and discrimination at another group. FYI: they will burn a cross on my porch for being a Lesbian but they’ll also burn one on yours for sleeping with a White Man and having mixed babies.

Clearly, I’m no longer a member of that group but my eyes are wide open to straight Black women and their homophobia…

1 comment:

  1. I see this all the time. Straight minorities are homophobic. At the same time I see Caucasian LBGT members being racist. Instead of people viewing each other's struggles as universal, they only see their own hurt and pain. They dismiss other people who face discrimination everyday

    ReplyDelete