Single & Fabulous

Mar 8, 2015

Dating "Nina"



At some point in our lives we realize how things should be done. Dating Nina (that’s the nickname I’m giving her since we share a love of the great Nina Simone) has certainly shown me what dating and courtship is all about and how it should go down. Obviously things are going well. 

Nina is a professional, to keep things simple she’s runs shit. If I had to pick a style to compare hers to I’d say she’s Ellen DeGeneres with a Bette Porter Alpha female personality. Different from the girly girl types I used to date, which I am learning is a huge plus because we complement each other. Nina loves the arts and culture (I’ll tell you about our Jazz date in a minute) but she’s also fun and enjoys sports and laid back nights out or in. And the best part of it all is that she’s Jewish! When you come from a Jewish family that is the one thing your Mother will be pessimistic about – Is She/He Jewish? Not that it’s a requirement but it just adds an unspoken understanding to the mix. I secretly believe that my Grandmother had something to do with this one because even though she was very accepting of me being a Lesbian, she always tried to fix me up with “nice, sweet, Jewish girls.” Okay Mom-Mom, you’ve made your point! LOL! 

After our impromptu Valentine’s Day outing, Nina asked me if she could take me out on a proper date. I agreed and she suggested dinner and Jazz at one of the best Jazz Clubs in the city. Since she would be working late in the city we decided I’d meet her at the club. She actually met me at the parking garage and walked with me over to the club. Here’s where I started noticing the differences: she held open the door and allowed me to walk in before her, she held my purse while I took off my coat and even assisted me in doing so, and she gave both of our coats to the hostess and asked them to be checked. I’ve never had this experience before, if anything I’m usually the one offering to do these things. We talked non-stop and the food was delicious. When the check came, as a natural reflex, I reached for it. She quickly grabbed it and said not to think about it. I insisted on paying it or at least half. Her response: “You’re not like most women; you’re very independent, strong minded, and very much capable of paying for whatever your heart desires. But tonight I’d like to cover the bill.” How do you argue with that? While we were getting ready to leave, Nina asked me to walk with her to where she left her car because she had something she needed to give me. During the walk she held my hand, when we arrived to her car she opened the passenger door, reached in and handed me a bouquet of my favorite flowers in my favorite color – Purple Tulips. I was impressed because it showed that she not only listened but she’s persistent because it’s the dead middle of winter and tulips aren’t even in season.
 
Since then we have been seeing each other at least 3 times per week. Nina treats me like a Princess yet respects me like a Woman. There’s a difference. We’re enjoying each other’s company and just going with the flow. I am happy and she keeps a permanent smile on my face. Who knew that stepping outside the box would equate happiness…

No comments:

Post a Comment