Single & Fabulous

Feb 17, 2015

Match.com & My Impromptu Valentine



Like Valentine’s Day of 2014, I had no real plans for this holiday. I knew I wanted to go out and at least see The Wedding Ringer as I have been dying to see it since it came out in January. My family is still mourning the death of my Grandmother so things are still bittersweet for us, especially my Mother. Speaking of my Mother, I got her a wonderful keepsake this year. The woman has everything, and I mean everything so she is impossible to shop for! I decided give her something she could have forever – a Build a Bear. After work I headed over to the store and built her gift. It was a fun yet enlightening experience. I still do not understand why a bear needs satin panties (don’t worry I refused to buy them) or why the clothes cost just as much as an outfit for a child at Gymboree but it was for my Mother so I indulged a little. I can certainly see why kids love this place but I won’t be throwing birthday parties there. In fact, I was telling two friends that if my kid wanted one they could play with my Mother’s…or bait her into taking them to the store. 

Match.com. The site I have been skeptical about using for years. Why? Because they’re forever changing the structure – making it less user friendly, in my opinion, they try to nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING, and their matching systems really suck. Basically, Match is one of those sites where you need to do the extensive leg work and not rely on the so called Match’s they send to your inbox or select as your Daily Match – they’re usually inactive members who really don’t meet your criteria. I’ve had a “blank” Match profile for quite some time now but about two weeks ago I decided to actually complete my profile, upload pictures, and subscribe. Yes, I have a paid three month subscription to Match. I promised myself that I’d dive in and see what develops – whether I make a bunch of new friends or I find someone to date. ***Quick Side Note: Tangowire aka Curve Personals has been sold to some British company that has completely gutted the site and it’s a mess! Avoid them. That used to be my online dating go to, now it’s the site to run from.***

After about a week of being active, I start corresponding with a woman who resides in my hometown. She’s older and identifies as a Stem. Lot’s in common especially our love for the great women of music. During one of our conversations on Valentine’s Day, she asks me what my plans were. I told her I’m finishing up homework for an online course and then if it stops snowing I’m going to head to the movies to see The Wedding Ringer. Out of the blue she asks me if she could join me. Not thinking much of it, I told her the choice was hers. I told her which theater I was going to and what time the movie started. If she showed up okay, if not it’s still okay. This changed my dressing plans as I wasn’t planning on going out in no more than jeans, short sleeved tee, and snow boots. Meeting someone for the first time ups the ante. I dressed how one dresses for a casual date – skinny jeans, knee boots, designer top, jewelry, makeup, clutch. 

The entire time I was heading over to the theater she was texting me about how nervous she was yet excited to see me, how she had already secured our tickets so not to worry about them. I laughed because I wasn’t the least bit nervous. Usually when you’re meeting someone for the first time there is some nervousness. Not me. See my objective was to go with the flow because either way I would have met a new friend or a new woman to begin dating. I’m truly in no rush to get into a long term relationship; I believe it should happen naturally. We meet. Immediately conversation flows naturally. One thing I notice about her, something I am not used to (and not in a good way either), is her manners. She offered to hold and carry things for me, open doors, and we had a little show down at the concession counter because we both wanted to pay for things. I’m not used to this! My friend Z once said I’m, very feminine and girly, yet I have a dominate personality. She’s right. 

The movie was hilarious! I love Kevin Hart movies. After the movie she asked me if it would be okay if she took me to dinner at a nearby restaurant. I agreed, I was having so much fun with her. Until we got to the front doors of the theater and saw a major blizzard happening. We decided a rain check on dinner was appropriate then helped each other clean off our cars before heading home. So far all is going well. No expectations, no assumptions.
 
She’s taking me out to a Jazz Café and performance on Thursday night…

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad your Valentine Day turned out fun. I spent the day with my bestie. I have tried match.com in the past, but I didn't have any luck with it. I actually haven't had much luck with online dating, but I will try again later. Maybe I'm not looking at the whole process right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was definitely an unexpected experience but welcome none the less. Okay so one thing Match does differently is allows a subscriber the option of being able to have those they email be able to read and reply to their emails, whether the person is a subscriber or not. I think it's an extra $5 per month but if you're going to really use the site and go as far as a subscription why not? At least you know people are reading your emails and have the ability to reply. Now whether the person responds, that's completely on them not Match. When I did a search I made to that if I was going to email someone they had to have been active within the last 2 hours. Like I said there are plenty of inactive profiles out there but Match will suggest and send them to you as Matches when truthfully they're not! You really have to do the leg work and literally ignore what Match sends lol. Sounds crazy but you have to work Match your way.

      Oh and women are rude (yes I said it!). If someone emails you, even if they're not your type etc at the minimum give them the respect of a thank you. If someone takes time out of their life to send you a correspondence that's the least you could do. Golden Rule! LOL! If you have questions about Match feel free to ask!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply. I will email you privately.

      Delete
    3. Actually I just realized I don't have your email address. Can you email me? I have some more questions and I'd rather not post as a comment.

      Delete