Single & Fabulous

Apr 27, 2015

Operation Meet The Parent's



The day has finally come. On Sunday Nina and I ventured to Egg Harbor Township to visit her Mother and Stepfather. Nina’s Mother recently turned 75 so we decided to celebrate with her during one of our free weekends. Now let’s review some history here. Usually, I never have an issue getting along with the woman I am dating’s parents, particularly their Mother’s. On occasion there have been issues, two mainly: the bigot who treated me horribly despite me being nice and respectful to her, and the one I never met because her daughter was closeted and her mother played into her insecurities once she found out we were dating. 

Meeting Nina’s Mother was a nerve wrecking experience. I wanted her to like me, it’s very important to me. I had all kinds of funny stories about this amazing woman and I also know how important her Mother is to her, she truly loves this woman. I picked out the perfect Meet The Parent’s outfit, got a manicure and pedicure, brow wax, and even had Nina spend the night with me. I made us a huge brunch the next morning and pumped her for more information about her Mother and Stepfather. I wanted to know if there were any house rules I needed to observe and how her Mother and Stepfather liked to be addressed. 

Since Nina’s Stepfather was making dinner I offered to make my favorite Chessman Cookie Banana Pudding and bring a bottle of wine to share for dinner. Nina actually begged me to make it because she loves it, although she doesn’t like bananas…or pudding. Nina also wanted to get a birthday gift for her sister at the Tanger Outlets so the plan was to drop off the pudding, do a quick meet and greet with the parent’s, then head to Tanger while her Stepfather finished cooking dinner. The entire car ride there I was anxious and according to Nina I didn’t even make eye contact with her! We even had to make an emergency stop at a pharmacy near her Mother’s home because my hair products decided to flake and act weird and I told Nina that I refused to meet her Mother looking a hot mess. 

The moment of truth – we pull into her Mother’s driveway, Nina holds my hand and says “you look amazing babe, she’s going to love you. Just relax and be yourself.” We get to the front door, Nina opens it and allows me to walk in front of her. Lucky for me her Mother and Stepfather were sitting in the kitchen instead of right there in the living room. Her Mother hugged me instantly and her Stepfather did as well. I was still nervous and Nina could sense it so she told them we needed to head to Tanger before dinner. We headed to Tanger, walked around and explored the area. Did some shopping before Nina took me to a cool restaurant and insisted that I not only eat a little something  but also have a margarita to take the edge off. 

That drink was just what I needed because I was more relaxed and back to myself. When we returned to her Mother’s home, Nina’s Mother asked me to sit with her on the sofa with two wine glasses in hand and the bottle of wine in the other. We had a girl talk session and walked down memory lane complete with pictures of herself and Nina when they were much younger. By the time dinner was over we had finished the entire bottle of wine and was completely comfortable with each other. Dinner was amazing, Nina’s Stepfather is an excellent cook, and then it was game time. I have never played Rummikub but Nina’s folks were practically experts and taught us well. Around 8PM Nina informed them that we had to go because we both had to work in the morning. One last hug from her folks for the road and we were on our way back to my home. 

Nina told me how much her Mother loved me and our girl talk and asked her to bring me back very soon to spend more time with them. This is a huge weight off my shoulder. More than anything I wanted Nina’s Mother to not only accept me but approve of me, and an added bonus of loving me. I got all three. On to the next chapter…

No comments:

Post a Comment