Single & Fabulous

Jun 13, 2015

Me & Nina: How It's Supposed To Be



Happy Pride 2015! I decided not to attend any of the Pride festivities in Philly this year. Just the same shit, different year and they aren’t even making an effort to change it. OutFest is what I attend so in October I’ll celebrate in the Gayborhood with my same sex loving brothers and sisters. And I just so happen to have an awesome, kickass girlfriend to spend time with so later for all the Pride madness. 

I have to admit that I have been truly blessed with Nina. No ex drama, no baby daddy/mama drama, no drama period! We’re lovers and best friends. It truly gets no better than this. For years I have fallen for women who could not even reciprocate the love, openness, honesty, loyalty, or affection that I brought to the table. With Nina I don’t have to ask, beg, or plead because it’s always there even when you least expect it. Arguments? What arguments? We don’t have them. We have some of the deepest discussions about God, life choices, and how the world is today. We value our time together yet also value our time apart. If I go out with friends she’s content waiting for me at home until I return, if she has a late work event to attend I make sure she comes home to comfortable surroundings and nothing but love because I understand she’s had a long day. We just fit and it works and I’m so grateful for this woman. 

I’m not the only one who loves Nina. My best friend and her husband have welcomed her into the family with open arms. Recently a friend of ours was asking for attendance confirmations for her upcoming wedding down south. I sent this friend a text letting her know that I would be attending with Nina and that we planned to fly in, rent a car, and hotel for the weekend. This friend text me back stating that Nina was welcome to attend the ceremony but she was unsure if she could attend the reception. Now before I proceed with the other part of this story I must say that is tacky and must be some new age wedding bullshit because my upbringing is that if you invite a single person to an event you always give a plus one. If they bring someone great, if not still great. Back to the story, my best friend’s husband got wind of all of this and said “If Nina is not welcome then none of us are welcome.” We all decided not to attend. How much sense does it make for us to spend money on getting to the wedding plus a gift only for my girlfriend to have to sit in the hotel room while the rest of us are at the reception. That’s a not cool by any means. 

Instead of spending the money going to someone’s wedding we decided to spend the money on a weekend vacation somewhere warm and where we can run around in bikinis all weekend. I’m thinking Key West or maybe even Saint Croix. 

In other news, both of our leases are up close to the end of this year and we already spend five nights out of the week with each other anyway…so yeah we’re thinking of sharing a common address…

No comments:

Post a Comment