Single & Fabulous

Oct 6, 2015

New Journeys, New Beginnings



Nina and I are officially living together. You never know how much stuff two people truly have until it’s time to pack up and move. Let’s just say I ended up throwing away a lot of clothes and no longer needed documents. The good news is between my place and Nina’s condo we didn’t have to buy a lot of new items because we both had items we agreed to keep. The only thing we did purchase was a new sofa and a storage unit from Ikea because we lost one of our closets with the move. 

The additional space is greatly appreciated and now that we have carpet I have to admit that the place feels more like home. The funny thing is Nina’s parents have been dying to come see the place and have even offered to help us unpack. We told them once we have gotten ourselves settled and ready to have visits we’ll call them first. 

Aside from this big step Nina and I have taken to a new beginning, I also have embarked on my own personal journey. After rocking out with Faux Locs for 6 months I have decided that Locs is something that I want and thus have begun my Locs Journey on 10/2. My loctitian is the same woman who started my friend Nikki’s locs a little over 2 years ago and her hair is flowing and beautiful. 

Here are some facts about my natural hair: (1) I have not had a relaxer since the age of 15, (2) I have mixed hair meaning it’s not your typical African-American grade of hair. If I had to narrow it down I’d say I have 3C curl pattern, (3) My hair is 1.5 inches past my shoulders. My locs were started using the Comb Coil method and when I tell you shrinkage is real, it’s no joke. My hair shrunk to about half its length. Normally when I get a style I have never had before there is a period of freaking out, but not this time. I had researched a lot of pictures and YouTube videos of comb coils and starter locs to know what to expect. Another bonus is that I bought a gang of hairbands to jazz things up during this phase. 

I’m excited about this journey and my new beginning with Nina. For once in my life things just seem to fall into place in such a way that I feel free emotionally, mentally, and physically. This time change was on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment