Single & Fabulous

Dec 1, 2015

Holidays With The New Family



Nina and I survived our first Thanksgiving with her family. Normally, I go to my cousin’s home then head to my grandparents followed by capping my evening off at my best friend’s home. This was our first major holiday together, and I thought it would be great to spend it getting to know the new family as it’s very likely we’ll be spending holidays or some other social time with so why not get the initial meet and greets over with, right? 

I worked three 12 hour shifts the days before Thanksgiving so naturally I was the walking dead come turkey day. Nina’s mother insisted that dinner be at 2:00PM which meant no sleeping in for me (F*ck!!!!!!!). I promised Nina’s mother that I would make the Chessman Banana Pudding that she loved so when I got in on Wednesday evening I made the pudding and passed out shortly afterwards.

The weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, Nina ran down the guest list for me. Her triplet nephews (who are our favorite boys in the world), their parent’s, and her older sister and her new man would be joining us. I’d miss out on meeting her uncles and cousins because Nina’s mother never has Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving because of her previous work life. Now that she is retired, dinner was on schedule as it should be.  I had already heard stories about Nina’s older sister, and they weren’t so great. Meeting someone for the first time, I kept an open mind.

When Nina’s mother returned to the house with her older sister and her new man, I said hello to both of them. Nina’s older sister shook my hand and said “Oh well great, now I met you” in the most sarcastic, bitchy way possible. I said okay and walked away. The rest of the evening I avoided her and her new man as well as any eye contact or communication with them. Nina told me her older sister was a bitch but yeah she showed her true colors from the door.

The entire evening I focused my attention on Nina’s nephews, their parents, and Nina’s parents. I said not one word to her older sister or her new man. They were treated as inanimate objects at the other end of the table. Nina didn’t talk to her sister at all either. After dinner the boys wanted to play Phase 10 with us so we broke out the card game and got down to business. I guess Nina’s mother was uncomfortable with the noticeable tension and silence so she tried to get her older sister to join us for the game. Didn’t work. In fact, Nina’s nephews told Nina’s mother that “this is a private game.” Translation – the bitch ain’t playing with us! If I had any doubts about whether the boys cared for Nina’s older sister they were just solidified. Yikes!

Around 8:30PM Nina and I decided it was time to head home. We hugged and kissed the boys, their parents, Nina’s mother and stepfather. We said a general non-specific Bye to her older sister and her new man and headed for the door. The next day Nina told me that her mother called and asked her why none of us interacted with each other. Nina said she told her mother off. I’m glad. Next year, Nina and I plan on having our own Thanksgiving with friends and some family members. 

Next we’re celebrating Hanukkah and Christmas. One of Nina’s gifts has already arrived and I am debating on waiting until Christmas to give it to her or Hanukkah. I got her four things and hopes she likes them. She asked me what I wanted to Christmas and Hanukkah. I told her a massage package and some boots. 

Our Hanukkah-Christmas Mash Up tree is up and we have plans for our first New Year’s Eve. Looks like 2015 is ending on a good note for me. My locs journey is progressing beautifully, the new place feels more like a home, and I have a fabulous girlfriend. 2015, who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment