Single & Fabulous

Apr 26, 2011

Two's Company, But Is Three A Crowd?


Menage a Trois: A French term used to originally describe a domestic arrangement in which three people having sexual relations occupy a single household.


Leave it to the French to be very lax and innovative when it comes to love and sex. And by the way, they said PEOPLE, no gender specifications involved (No wonder they think America is so ass backwards. Go figure!).

Threesomes! Everyone has an opinion or story about them. You either love the idea or hate it, had the ultimate sexual experience or something you never want to experience again. Having a threesome, to me, is another level of sexual exploration and freedom.

I’ve heard about all kinds of threesomes - all women, all men, two women and a man, two men and a woman. No matter the combination they all require a certain degree of trust and understanding among the participants.

The argument has been made that if you’re married or in a serious committed relationship, a threesome can be a death sentence to the relationship as you know it. While that may be true in some cases, it’s not the gospel in all situations. Some people call it cheating - How is that the case when three consenting adults mutually agree to give themselves to each other? Or if the request/desire is one sided questions born out of insecurity - Am I enough, am I satisfying you? Are you still attracted to me? On the other hand there are couples that a threesome takes their sex life to a whole new level of passion, exploration, and excitement.

Finding the right participants can make the difference between a good threesome experience and a bad one. If you’re coupled up you should do this together, going on a kitty hunt without your Mrs. could have devastating results - Are you trying to lose your wife? Don’t pick a woman who is sexier than you! If you’re flying solo you get to decide if you want to play with two other solo people, or if you want to be the third to an established couple. Whatever the situation/arrangement everyone involved must have the same mindset and be comfortable with what is about to go down - figuratively and literally.

Have I ever had a threesome? No. But it’s something I want to do this lifetime. There is an offer on the table, yet I haven’t decided if I want to seal the deal…

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Annalise for writing mature content that is open minded and non judgmental. It is refreshing to say the least. I try to stay away from the topic when it arises mainly because the consensus in the room is usually one of absolute negativity and more of a bashing then an actual dialogue about the subject. I see nothing wrong with threesomes or polyamory. I think when it comes to relationships, love and sex in our western world we have this rigid preconceived notion of how those things should look. Historically relationships, love and sex have all had different definitions of "normal" or mainstream.

    I think that if people were more openminded in general relationships would be in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime this topic is discussed I'm either with a group of people who horrified/disgusted about the idea of a threesome, or people who are all for them. I think people react before they think. This level of sexual freedom/adventurousness requires a lot of trust and open communication about feelings and rules. It's not something you spring on someone suddenly by bringing some random participant home. Even I would run from that situation!

    The sexually repressed attitude in society reminds of what Madonna was singing about in Human Nature (best song ever): "You punish me for telling you my fantasies, I'm breaking all the rules I didn't make..." Just because it's not something you'd ever try, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of the day, I believe 100% in exploring the uniqueness of sexual liberation. It's healthy if the people involved can all unite and enjoy the opportunity to experience intimacy within another dimension. I think once we are able to address our individual fears and doubts regarding mature group interactions, we'll all be better harmonious bunnies bouncing around (pun intended). Hats off to you for exploring such a topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tri....."harmonious bunnies". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Tri'. Sexual repression is born out of sexual fears and fear of condemnation. Someone once told me that fetishes develop as a form of acting out on sexual repression. We all have our limitations on what we will and will not do, but those who "will not" need to respect the right to engage of those "who will". I'm not saying you have to do it, but don't condemn what you know nothing about. Just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it isn't for somebody.

    And yeah "harmonious bunnies" LMAO!

    ReplyDelete