Single & Fabulous

Apr 14, 2013

Atlanta vs. Houston: Where Should I Live?!?

As the end of my first year of Nursing School draws near, my future has increasingly been on my mind. One thing that has been a constant thought is where I want to relocate to next year. When I began my journey two years ago I knew I wanted to move to Atlanta. I looked up all the information I could on the suburbs, hospitals, and Lesbian life in general. My heart was set on residing in Marietta or Kennesaw, purchasing my first home because real estate is such a steal down there, and just kicking off my career and business in the Nursing field. Since becoming a Mother is a high priority on my list, I also looked at private schools and even Hebrew Day Schools too (that’s a discussion for another post).

My mind was definitely hardcore set on running from PA to GA…but then I started to open my mind to other states and even possibilities. I composed a list of places I’d consider living and raising a child in – Houston, Arlington, Silver Spring, Kansas City, even Nevada – and right after Atlanta, Houston is #2 on the list. Now I have yet to explore Houston even though I have family who reside in the state of Texas, but from what I have read and heard about the area, real estate, private school systems, and Lesbian life it’s definitely a place I need to explore and very soon. One thing I know for sure is that Houston has far more CRNA programs than Atlanta (they have one in the entire state of GA where TX has plenty).

I’m planning a trip to Houston for the summer and even to Atlanta so I have a more immediate basis for comparison. This discussion definitely warrants a Part Deux…
Where would you live? Have you explored Atlanta or Houston?

3 comments:

  1. If I had to choose between Houston and Atlanta, I'd say Atlanta based off what I've heard from people who have lived there. There's a large gay male scene, but there is also a decent lesbian scene plus there are lots universities in the area. If you fancy a college-educated woman, Atlanta might be the right place for you.
    I haven't been to Atlanta in years and I know it has changed a lot since I've been there.

    I have my heart set on living in Chicago for the next 5-7 years. I move there in August-I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!!!! I have never been to Chicago but I've heard wonderful things about it. What inspired your desire to relocate?

      Atlanta is definitely my #1 choice, but I like to keep my options open so I'll explore Houston a few times to see if it can contend with Atlanta for my heart...

      Delete
    2. I'm in IL for grad school, and my school offers the opportunity to intern in Chicago.
      Chicago has a great public transit system, and I feel like the cost of living is reasonable given all of the amenities of the city. When I visited for the first time, it just felt right.
      I love all of the universities in the city, the black population (I'm attracted to women of color), and the opportunities in the city.

      Delete