Single & Fabulous

Jun 6, 2011

Sex Room: Stripping & Pole Dancing

I’ve always admired and respected Strippers since my introduction to the movie The Players Club. I even dated one who worked for Daydreams for three months, although I only really did so just to be able to brag about dating a Stripper, I knew it would never go anywhere. But after delving into Pole Dance class (Got Pole? Located on 3rd & South has some of the best instructors and classes for only $10.00 for a one hour group lesson) I have a newfound respect for women who drop it, pop it, twerk it, and climb the poles for a living.

One of my best friends is a retired Stripper, yes she hung up the boobs, booty, and pole last June at the age of 29 in favor of settling down and wanting to start a family with her current Mrs. Jen and I met when I was 18 and she had been dancing she was 19 as a form of supplemental income while she was in College and Grad School. Through her I learned all about the behind the scenes world of stripping i.e. house fee, attire requirements, rivalry between dancers, but it wasn’t until I took a Beginners Pole Dance class that I really got a firsthand experience into the art of stripping. Pole Dancing is a workout in itself as it requires you to be able to lift your body weight so you can climb and do different tricks and maneuvers.

Never ever, ever, ever wear lotion or body oils to class or a club. Why? Because you will constantly slide down the pole. If you know you are going to take Pole classes that evening do not apply lotion after you shower. I know, you don’t want to be ashy, but you also don’t want a huge bruise on your ass from hitting the floor. Trust, it hurts and it’s not pretty.

There is actually a method behind the madness of Clear Heels – they help you climb and stick to the Pole. How? The vinyl of the shoes actually is a good sticking agent for your initial climb (short climb) and helps you climb the pole higher for those sexy descends. Any “Stripper Store” i.e. Erogenous Zone or Lady Lord, will have a wide selection of these shoes available. For easier climbing experience buy a pair of calf high or knee high pleather boots.

If you’re going to make Pole Dancing apart of your weekly workout routine then you might as well go all in and purchase Pole Dancing attire. Translation – skimpy tops and booty shorts or costumes from said “Stripper Stores”. Looking the part, even if it is just for fun, always makes the experience more exciting.

Downside? The only problem, and guess this is not so much a problem as it is a Right of Stripper Passage, is the bruising and “Pole Burn”. Sliding down the pole causes major friction and friction leads to bruising. After my first class I had inner arm, inner thighs, outer leg bruises for a week. Believe it or not, real Strippers get bruised when they use the pole all the time. It’s the norm. The good news is once you get used to the Pole and your body strength increases the burn and bruises aren’t as bad.

Think Pole Dancing is just for the Skinny Bitches? Think again! There are plenty Plus Size and Thick Jawns (yes I said Jawns) rocking out on the Pole. Check out this one performance: Temptations Debut to Sex Room

Will I ever turn my workout routine into a Profession? Well in the words of my friend Amanda, “If AES doesn’t stop stalking me for my student loan money I’m going to have a new side hustle.”

2 comments:

  1. Another gem in the Blogospeher! I am sitting at my desk right now nodding my head in agreement to every word. I took my first pole class a few years ago as a girls night out adventure and we all fell in love with it (bruises be damned). It's good exercise and fun. A true art form that deserves to be inducted into the annals of performance art but will never be because of it's association with the degradation and undesirable stature of a "certain type of woman." Truth be told, we all have a little bit of vixen in us (some more than others) and pole classes are just the way to explore that part of our personalities. I think it's great that pole dancing is becoming so much more main stream. Those who turn their noses up should rethink their positions and give it a shot; find out what it really takes to be able to do all those climbs, drops, spins, and flips. One way to look at it is this, as kids it was cool to play on the monkey bars and you had no problems hanging up-side-down. Years later it's the same principal except the challenge now is you only get one vertical bar. And how many of us can really pull our own body weight in a pair of 8 in heels or a pair of Nikes for that matter? If I am ever in a position where I have fallen and can't get up I hope and pray that there is either an able bodied military person around or a stripper to save me. Being able to lift their body weight is a requirement of the job so my chances for survival have drastically increased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMFAO! I love your comment! I've never thought of stripping as this "dirty" profession, in fact I think it's one of the best hustles out there. I mean think about - you get to dance for 2.5 minutes to a song, maybe you get totally naked, maybe you dont but you get paid and no one is touching your or entering you. You're just putting on a show and walk away with what $20-$50 a dance in 2.5 minutes. Uh do the math here and lets get real. It's not like you're laying on your back, having sex for the same amount of money. Yes, we all have a Video Vixen inside of us and we should let her out to play every chance we get. Pole Dance class is fun, great strength training, and builds confidence. I love to see women of varying sizes loving the skin they are in.

    ReplyDelete